Friday, March 14, 2014

The Detox Series - Multigrain Savoury Porridge

Till about last evening I was happily indulging in mindless gorging and gluttony and this has been going on since the past few months. It all started along with the winter holidays - first family weddings , then vacations and then a steady stream of visitors at home. All that I think I was doing is eat. So when I woke up in the morning today I told myself that I had to STOP. Stop being so callous with what I was eating and move towards something healthier and detoxifying. A visit to Fab India and I came back loaded with organic goodies. Grains, whole wheat pastas, herbs and dressings and I was all set. I also picked up a packet of multi grain porridge mix of pulses and grains which seemed very interesting. I simply followed the instructions on the pack and made it into a  porridge with a few additions. Didn't have too many veggies at hand so added few soyabean nuggets , green peas and a dash of mint.So here's the first of the recipe of my "Detox Series" - Multigrain Savoury Porridge. Kick start your day with this healthy breakfast dish and trust me you will feel so much better - like I am right now.



Ingredients:

Multigrain mix - 1 cup - I used ready made ones but you can easily make it at home  combining your favourite pulses like musur and moong dal along with some dalia.

Onion - 1 medium - finely chopped

Tomato - 1 medium - finely chopped

Soyabean nuggets - 8-10 soaked in warm water

Green peas - half cup

Turmeric powder - 1 tsp

Red chilli powder - 1 tsp

Coriander powder - 1 tsp

Cumin powder - 1 tsp

Salt - to taste

Sugar - a pinch

Cumin seeds - half tsp

Refined oil - 1 tsp

Lemon juice - 1 tbsp.

Water - 2 cups

Mint leaves - for garnish

Method:

Soak the multi grain mix in some warm water for half an hour.

In a pressure cooker add the oil. Once the oil heats up splutter the cumin seeds. Add the chopped onions and cook till it turns light brown in colour.
Next add the chopped tomatoes,soybean nuggets and green peas. Add the drained multi grain mix and saute for 2 mins.
Add in all the dry spice powders - turmeric,red chili powder,cumin powder,coriander powder,salt and sugar. Give it all a good mix.
Add 2 cups of water, close the lid of the pressure cooker and let it cook for 10 mins or till 6 whistles.



Remove from heat and serve with a dash of lemon juice and garnish of mint leaves.






 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely and so simple. Healthy changes in our diet are certainly not so difficult. Love the initiative. Waiting for more to come.

    ReplyDelete