Monday, March 10, 2014

Royyala Iguru - Andhra Style Prawn Curry

I have been having a lot of fun lately. First it was my mother visiting us and spoiling us silly with her awesome cooking and now with my sister in town its only getting better! I am totally preoccupied with my 2 yr old niece and she is a treat. So as you can understand with family around I couldn't really focus that much on cooking and blogging. However I had to find some time to participate in the ongoing KFB  event "Kashmir to Kanyakumari" where we have to create a dish either from the north or the south.
Now to be honest I have been exposed to a lot of north Indian food be it their tikkas, butter chicken, naan/rotis etc . The challenge for me was to explore the South Indian cuisine which is so vast and rich. I have not really eaten that many south Indian non veg dishes except maybe a solitary Sukka dish or maybe a Prawn Gassi - thanks to Sagar Ratna in Delhi. The only way for me to explore this cuisine before I got down to making a dish was to google. So I googled for Kerala cuisine, Andhra cuisine and also Mangalorean cuisine. The search threw up at me a sea of recipes, most of it so amazing. But as you know I am a stickler for easy everyday recipes. One such recipe that caught my fancy was Royyala Iguru - Andhra Style Prawn Curry that would go so well with rice. My recipe has been broadly adapted from Sailu's Kitchen a treasure trove of authentic recipes. The ingredients used here are again very basic everyday ones , I just added a few more to make it my own.


Ingredients:

Prawns - 500 gms - medium sized - deveined and washed

Onions - 1 large - finely chopped

Tomato - 1 large - finely chopped

Ginger & Garlic paste - 1 tbsp.

Red Chili powder - 1 tbsp.

Turmeric powder - 1 tsp

Coriander powder - 1 tsp

Cumin powder - 1 tsp

Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Poppy seeds & Cashew nut paste - 2 tbsp

Refined oil - 2 tbsp

Garam masala powder - 1 tsp

Warm water - 1 cup

Green chilli's - 4-5 according to your taste

Salt - to taste

Method:

In a non-stick pan , add the oil. Once it heats up add the curry leaves and the chopped onion. Once the onion is translucent add the chopped tomato and the ginger garlic paste.
Fry till the ingredients are light brown in colour.


Next tip in the cleaned prawns along with the dry spice powders - turmeric , red chili , coriander and cumin.


 Mix the spices well and cook for 5 mins on low heat so that the spices don't burn. Add the poppy seeds and cashew nut paste. Mix well and fry for another 5 mins on low heat. Pour in a cup of warm water , salt to taste and the green chillies. Cover and let it simmer for another 5-7 mins.


Once the gravy thickens add the garam masala powder. Mix well and serve hot with rice.


The family enjoyed this dish for lunch and I am going to be making it often from now on. I was a bit sceptical about adding raw prawns to the masala mix  as I thought it would leave a bad taste in the curry but it turned out just alright.

I am sending this recipe to the KFB event Kashmir to Kanyakumari


 

No comments:

Post a Comment