Thursday, March 13, 2014

Nolen Gurer Payesh ( Rice Pudding with Datepalm jaggery) - A Divine Dessert

Every time my mother visits me this time of the year I make sure she treats us to Nolen Gurer Payesh  - Rice pudding with datepalm jaggery. Nolen gur is a seasonal treat and we Bengalis would not miss a chance to relish this divine delicacy around winter and early spring. I also stock up on some but the fresh jaggery tastes something else.You get the liquid variety that comes in a clay jar or can use the blocks. Its an easy recipe but it needs constant supervision. Maa of course has a few tricks which she has shared with me this time around and I am passing it onto my readers!



Ingredients:

Gobindobhog rice - 1 cup - washed well and soaked in water for 15 mins

Milk - 1 litre - I used Amul Tazaa - but its better to use full cream variety

Date palm - 1 bar/block - around 200 gms

Milk powder - 5 tsps.

Water - 1 cup



Method:

In a thick bottomed deep pan bring the milk to a boil. Add the soaked rice into the milk and let it boil on low flame. Once the rice starts to soften add a cup of water and let it boil further till the rice is fully cooked and the milk has thickened.



Now add the nolen gur / datepalm jaggery. Since it comes in a block/bar its advisable to crumble it into small pieces so that it dissolves well into the rice-milk mixture.

Once the jaggery has fully dissolved add the milk powder and mix well.
Remove from heat and serve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment