Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sweet Nothings Part Deux - Vanilla Tarts with Chocolate Raspberry Ganache

Exactly a year ago I had started writing this blog.Then, what I didn't know is this will become  so dear to me. This blog 'My Food My Life' has kind of become my identity. I am constantly craving to do more, to do something better.When I first started posting I didn't even have a camera to click food pics but now that is another sphere I am getting to learn. Making a dish from scratch , styling , photographing - everything is so exhilarating. And I am loving every bit of bit. I have made friends...I have come to know people...learn from them...teach them a few things..and its only getting better. 
Today's recipe is again my foray into  'not-so-confident' domain...baking...dessert...pastry making. But no harm in trying ( except of course the waste of ingredients!) What the heck,the least I can do is try. So the other day I was out again on one of my loitering trips to the supermarket. Lost in my thoughts, not an iota of idea on what I have to buy ,gazing through racks and racks of things - jams, sauces , pastas, lentils , rice , spices. It was then I chanced upon a tin of raspberries..and immediately I started thinking of the various desserts I could  make!!!! Without any further deliberation I just picked it up. On reaching home I started looking up for recipes and the best seemed to make a raspberry tart - oh- so-delicious.  All my high hopes were shattered once I opened the tin - what came out was a mound of squished raspberries in a very tangy syrup.So there my dreams of making a raspberry tart flew out of the window. But thou isn't one to give up so easily. I thought of making something easier and using up the raspberries nevertheless. So here's presenting the very delicious Vanilla Tarts with Chocolate Raspberry Ganache






Ingredients:

For the pastry:

Plain Flour - 200 gms

Butter - 80 gms at room temperature

Castor sugar - 50 gms ( you can use powdered sugar too)

Egg - 1 no lightly whisked

Vanilla extract - 1 tsp

Since I used Amul butter no need for extra salt

Other ingredients:

Vanilla custard - 2 cups ( made according to the instructions given on the pack)

Dark chocolate - 100 gms

Cream - 100 gms ( I used Amul cream)

Raspberry - 2-3 tbsp ( can substitute with any jam of your choice)

Method:

First we have to make the pastry. That is in fact the only cooking part rest is just assembling!

In a bowl cream the butter and sugar till pale in colour. Add the egg and whisk well.
Now gradually add the flour and bind into a soft dough. If the dough feels sticky you can add a little more flour. Cover the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for 30 mins.




After 30 mins , roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to cover the pastry tins.I used small tins .You could use small muffin cups too. 






Once the pastry/tart tins are covered with the rolled pastry dough just make small pricks all over so as to prevent the tarts from rising while we bake.Refrigerate the ready tart tins for another 10 mins.
Next preheat the oven to 180 deg C and bake the tarts for 15-20 mins. Till they turn light brown in colour.





Once the tart shells cool down , fill in with the prepared custard and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.


Now we have to prepare the ganache. Melt the chocolate on a double boiler or the microwave . Mix in the cream and raspberries and mix everything gently into a smooth sauce.



Fill a piping bag with the ganache and chill it for 30 mins. Take the custard filled tarts and make a design of your choice with the ganache. Top with a cherry or raspberryry and serve.






Variations - If you get fresh raspberries or strawberries you could avoid the chocolate ganache and top the custard with some of the fruits.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the treat!It was feasting to the eyes reading the custard tart.Will try as all ingredients are at hand.Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jayashree...do let me know when you try

    ReplyDelete