Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Winter Greens - Cauliflower and Green peas Gratin

Experiments are an integral part of my cooking. Sometimes I fail , but then there are times when I come out with flying colours! Yesterday i tried something new - a simple dish but truly yummy. I have very fond memories of winter time of my childhood. My grandmother would give us bowl fulls of steamed cauliflower, peas and potatoes simply sauteed in butter, seasoned with salt and pepper and it used to be so yummy. So what i made here is simply an adaptation of this.






Ingredients:

Cauliflower florets - 1 cup (parboiled)

Green peas - 1 cup ( parboiled)

Pasta or macaroni - 1 cup (boiled and drained)

Cream - half cup ( i used  amul cream )

Tomato puree  - 4 tbsp

Milk - half cup

Salt - to taste

Pepper - to taste

Grated cheddar cheese - 1 cube grated

Butter - 1 tbsp ( for sauteing the veggies)

Method:

In a non stick pan heat butter. Add the boiled veggies and the pasta. Fry for a minute. Add the tomato puree. Mix well.

Next tip in the milk and the cream, stirring continuously to prevent the cream from curdling.

Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer the mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and bake at 200 deg C for 15 mins.

Serve hot.

You could add broccoli, baby corn, carrots, beans just whatever your heart desires. The non veg lovers can add boiled chicken , sausages...But since I have two picky eaters at home I usually have to work around with the tried and tested ingredients.

Happy cooking folks!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipes are always so easy that you are compelled to try them...an inclusion for my soon-to-come pot luck dinner!

    ReplyDelete