Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Swiss Food Festival @ Swissotel Kolkata Neotia Vista

Yet again I found myself soaking up on Swiss hospitality, this time for the mega Swiss Food Festival to commemorate the Swiss National Day celebrated on 1st August. Swiss food is new to me and obviously there is so much more it it than just chocolate and cheese! The ever smiling Mr. Saxer (GM Swissotel Kolkata) and the vivacious Enakshi was there to usher us into the celebrations. I settled in with a glass of sparkling wine all ready to unwind after a particular tiring day. There were some traditional Swiss games being played by the guests which added to the fun ambience of the evening. The lavish dinner spread  at Café Swiss was thrown open to the guests after a brief ribbon cutting ceremony by Mr. Saxer and team.

 
 A walk around the buffet spread, and I realised that Swiss Cuisine is so multifaceted. There was everything possible from salads to breads to cheese to meats and even an array of vegetaruian dishes! I was a little low on my appetite that night and was more interested to get a taste of the vegetarian fare. I started with some salads. Options were many - Carrot and Raisin, Swiss potato salad, Green apple and Walnut along with some Swiss cheese salad.Even their regular salad bar was well stocked up. It was possible to stuff up oneself only on the salads and be happy!

 

There was Roesti that I quite liked - soft potato patty loaded with cheese and Capuns - stuufed cabbage rolls served in a tomato gravy that I enjoyed with Spatzle  - a traditional Swiss pasta that resembled our desi Anda bhurji! The Surri Gummeli - potatoes served with sour cream also deserves a special mention.
Capuns and Surri Gummeli
I was eyeing the dessert bar by now so didn't eat much of the non veg fare which my friends tell me is a winner! I only helped myself to some Chicken Cordon Bleu- crumb coated balls of chicken stuffed with ham and cheese. There were also Grilled Jumbo Prawns - with chilli flakes and olive oil cooked tender and juicy. I also spotted some unsual dishes like the Alpine Rabbit Stew that my friends vouched for.  Surre Mocke - roasted meat served in a sour sauce and the Salmon in sparkling wine and cream. Also the Rippli - pork tenderloin with green beans.

Chicken Cordon Bleu


As usual,by now I was stuffed uptil my neck and couldn't move even upto the dessert bar. But the greedy me cant give up on sweets so I asked A to get a plate as well! The dessert  bar was loaded with goodies. There was Chef Abhiroop Biswas from the Barry Callebaut Institute - the chocolate conoisseurs to give us a brief of the dessert he created that evening.The Raspberry Mousse pie stood out with a cumin scented shortcrust biscuit. Swiss Museli Quark Torte, Baba Au Rum, Mini Carrot Cupcakes, Engadin Nut cake and Apple Fritters with Vanilla icecream - everything was so yummy.
Pic Courtesy - Sayantani
The thing with Swissotel hospitality is that they spoil you with choices and options and let you enjoy your meal at your own pace. It was a super fun evening spent with my fellow KFBians over some yummy food and gossip. You can read about their experiences here Sayantani , Amrita and Antara

The Swiss Food Festival is on till the 7th Aug at the Café Swiss for Dinner Buffet and priced at  INR 1600 +

Go for it if you like to explore new cuisines..you will not be disappointed. Trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment