Sunday, June 23, 2013

Weekend cooking - Pork Vindaloo

I have now come back from my long summer break and have slowly started settling down in my space. To be honest by the end of it I was kind of missing it all. The husband had been fending for himself for too long now so the very first thing I decided to do is make him a nice pork curry. As usual I scoured the net for recipes and finally decided to make a vindaloo - it seemed a pretty easy dish to make.Of course many of you know about it as I have been hounding my readers on facebook with teasers! Well finally the dish was made and devoured by husband ( he had it for dinner last nite , for lunch today and says will have it for dinner again),,,so you see this is what keeps me going ...cooking with love and care and feeding my dear ones! My little boy however added his one bit and insisted that Papa should eat some bhindi too along with the pork! I don't know how my husband coped with that...you note the recipe here.



Ingredients:

Pork  - 500 gms curry cut

Onions - 2 medium finely chopped

Garlic - 10 cloves minced

Ginger - 1 tbsp. minced

Kashmiri red chilli powder - 2 tsp

Refined oil - 1 tbsp.

Vinegar - 1 tbsp.

Hot water - 2 cups

For the marinade:

Cumin - 1 tbsp.

Dry red chilli - 6-8 nos ( adjust acc to your spice levels )

Peppercorns - 1 tsp

Cinnamon - 1 small stick

Turmeric powder - 2 tsp

Vinegar - 1 tbsp.

Salt - to taste

Cloves - 5-6 whole

Dry grind all these spices together and mix with the vinegar . Rub the pork pieces well with this marinade and leave it overnight.Leaving it overnight is a very important step as it definitely makes the pork succulent.



For the gravy:

In a thick bottomed pan add the oil. Once the oil heats up add the chopped onion,minced ginger and garlic and fry well till golden brown in colour.

Once that is done add the marinated pork along with all the juices . Roast the pork well till it gets a nice brown colour.

Add the two cups of hot water and the 1 tbsp. vinegar. Cover and let it simmer for 30-40 mins. By then the the gravy would have thickened and the pork cooked to perfection. Do taste for salt before you take it off the heat and add a little more if required.





There it is - your Pork Vindaloo is ready to be served with hot plain rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment